If you can not differentiate between existing XML tags or empty contents or if you use the CDT (Data Type/GDT based on the Core Data Type) Indicator (with values true/false), you might find this useful:
- Each generated ABAP Proxy structure comes with a CONTROLLER section (internal table).
- For each field, there is an entry providing information
- The possible values are:
- sai_ctrl_initial => field exists in message with initial value
- sai_ctrl_nil => the value xsi:nil is sent
- sai_ctrl_none => field does not occur in message
See also: SAP Help